1. Who discovered the Andromeda galaxy?
French astronomer Charles Messier
Persian astronomer Abd al-Rahman al-Sufi
Chinese astronomer Tsu Ch'ung-Chi
2. The Messier number and NGC number of the Andromeda galaxy are,
M1 and NGC 61
M31 and NGC 224
M43 and NGC 102
3. Andromeda galaxy belongs to,
Virgo galaxy cluster
Andromeda galaxy cluster
Local Group galaxy cluster
4. What is the apparent visual magnitude of the Andromeda galaxy?
5. Who took the first photograph of the Andromeda galaxy and detected the spiral stucture?
6. What is the diameter of Andromeda galaxy?
95,000 light years
150,000 light years
220,000 light years
7. What is the distance of Andromeda galaxy measured from the Earth?
1.7 million light years
2.5 million light years
28 million light years
8. The number of stars in the Andromeda galaxy is,
Greater than the Milky Way
Roughly equal to Milky Way
Lesser than the Milky Way
9. Andromeda galaxy is located in the constellation of,
10. According to de Vaucouleurs galaxy classification, Andromeda is a,
Sb type galaxy
SAb type galaxy
SBb type galaxy
11. The first radio emissions from the Andromeda galaxy was detected by,
Arecibo Radio Observatory
Jodrell Bank Observatory
Noto Radio Observatory
12.The rate of star formation on Andromeda galaxy is,
Higher than the Milky Way galaxy
Equal to the Milky Way galaxy
Lower than the Milky Way galaxy
13. How many globular clusters have been identified in the Andromeda galaxy?
14. How many satellite galaxies orbit the Andromeda galaxy?
15. The largest satellite galaxy of Andromeda is,
Pegasus Dwarf galaxy
16. The spectrum of the Andromeda galaxy has,
A blue shift
A red shift
17. Andromeda galaxy is,
Moving away from the Milky Way galaxy
Moving towards the Milky Way galaxy
Maintaining the same distance with the Milky Way galaxy
18. The Andromeda galaxy core has,
A double nucleus
A giant globular cluster
A large dust cloud
19. Andromeda galaxy,
Is visible to the naked eye
Needs at least 10x50 binoculars to spot in the night sky
Needs a telescope of 6" or larger aperture to observe
20. What will happen to Andromeda galaxy in the future?
It will collide with the Triangulum galaxy
It will collide with the Milky Way galaxy
It will convert into an irregular shaped galaxy